The conversion of a Grade II listed chapel into a luxury cattery in Wolviston has been completed, following nine months of hard work and £70,000.
The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1829 but has stood derelict for a number of years. The last people to use the chapel had been the Wolviston gardening society. It has now been converted into a luxurious cattery where cats can enjoy the warmth of underfloor heating and a 24 hour sound system.
Michael and Mandy Johns bought the chapel in 2012 from friends who had failed to obtain planning permission to convert the building into a house. The property was originally to be used as a storage facility but when the couple realised that there was a demand for a cattery in the area, their idea was born.
Stockton council’s historic buildings officer, Fiona Bage, helped the couple to go through the process of obtaining planning permission. When approval was finally given, the couple set about the conversion. Unfortunately, the couple’s cats had passed away but they made sure that everything they had wanted for their cats was put into the cattery.
A webcam facility has been installed so that owners can log into the cattery website and see their pets online, no matter where the owners are. The cattery has had a sound system installed so that music can be played 24 hours a day. Underfloor heating completes the transformation into luxurious facilities for cats.